Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy - OMT
Orofacial myofunctional therapy (OMT) is rest posture therapy.
Restoring a normal rest posture of the tongue and lips and eliminating a tongue thrust can:
- guide the teeth into a more desirable relationship during the growth and development years
- assist the orthodontist in aligning the teeth and jaws properly
- assist stabilization of the teeth during and/or after orthodontic treatment and/or surgery, and
- enhance overall appearance
A primary goal of orofacial myofunctional therapy in children is to re-establish a normal oral environment in which normal dental eruption can occur. In adults, the goal is to normalize oral postures and functions to create stability in the dental arches. Early identification of abnormal face and jaw development is advantageous, but adults of all ages can benefit from therapy.
Who Should Treat OMD's?
Certified Orofacial Myofunctional Therapists work in a team approach with speech therapists and dental professionals, including orthodontists and pediatric dentists, as well as ENT's, allergists and other health care professionals.
Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy is aimed at:
1. eliminating oral habits
2. establishing a correct oral rest position
3. establishing proper chewing and correct swallowing patterns
4. re-patterning of head and neck posture problems
5. habituation of the new muscle pattern
Through education about the importance of proper tongue and lip postures, awareness training to establish appropriate resting postures for the lips and tongue, and exercises to establish proper swallow movement. Homework assignments are individually designed to reinforce what is learned in the therapy session. Studies show that treatment can be 80-90% effective in correcting swallowing and rest posture functions. These corrections are usually maintained years after completing therapy with continued awareness and monitoring. Swallowing is not something we think about doing. Re-learning takes patience and determination. I tailor my therapy program and hours of business to work with busy schedules. I would love the opportunity to discuss with you your individual needs.